Sunday 10 July 2011

Strategies

1. Check Small Boy can use a dictionary, and I mean a proper dictionary not a kiddy one. I suspect he probably can, and being allowed to use one to help his spelling with be a big novelty to start with, so he'll use it a lot. I am hoping he'll end up just using it for the really tricky words.

2. I am going to prepare prompt cards for the different styles of writing, so we can quickly review what is required, and don't have to spend forever thinking how to... rather than getting going.

3. Still pondering this one - using a variety of styles over the 5 weeks. I can't decide if I should do one style each week, or a random selection. Veering towards a random selection at the moment (maybe using a dice?) as I think he knows how to write in different styles. Will chat to him about what he knows.

4. Setting a timer - today we have x minutes. Tried this before and after a few false starts it's usually successful.

5. Bribery. Sticker charts for effort and achievement. Treat box (writing related). Mark work with 2 stars and a wish.

6. Target at the start of each piece of work.

7. Writing levels from www.t-pet.co.uk so he can see how well he is progressing and where he needs to go next.

8. A variety of days out and activities so we actually have something to write about!!

9. For the week we're away, as many real reasons for writing as I can - postcard, shopping list, diary etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment